Saturday, January 15, 2011

gritty grout, cold hands

Yesterday was my deadline for starting to get some of the growing stack of mosaics items grouted. Because of my lack of real work space, any grouting must be done outside. But as luck would have it, a much needed (yet poorly timed) cold front and rain were also on the schedule for the entire weekend. However, I'd made a vow and was determined to stick to it. So, coffee cup in hand, I set up my grouting station on the patio and got to work. Two items in and I was desperate for more hot liquids to warm my insides. Coffee downed and feeling like a living hot water bottle exuding my own heat, I got to work on the last of my trivets. Once those were done, I packed up shop because the afternoon was waning and the cold was beginnning to turn my hands into stiff icicles. But as I walked into the house to wash my hands, guilt and a feeling of having given up came over me. What was I? An artist or a wimp? A resolve set in. The cold would not get the better of me! Then I turned around, dug my heels in and set to work. I was not coming in the house until I was done. Well, in the interest of honest reporting, I admit that several cups of coffee were consumed for warmth. Plus the trips into the house to prepare said java provided the opportunity - albeit shortly lived - to allow my fingers to defrost. But hey, I was on a mission and nothing was deterring me from reaching my goals. The jewelry boxes (the first I've done) proved to be less complicated than I'd anticipated, yet nevertheless required a lot of time and care to keep them pristine. You have to understand that grouting and pristine just aren't ready bedfellows. The patio spotlights were quite useful when the blasted sunlight gave up on me. At one point, my beloved eldest daughter decided her mother needed a drink after all her hours of work. So she brought me a lovely giant glass of iced lemonade! It was too adorable and funny that I couldn't help but laugh.
In the end, I still had one jewelry box and a bowl that didn't make it through to the grouting frenzy before the rain started, but I'll get to those on the first sunny day that comes our way. I'm glad I persevered and have more goodies to put on the shop. But there's only one problem: I can't make photos of the last of the items because of the stormy weather. Not to worry, the jewelry boxes will be up on the shop in another day or two. More anticipation for you to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment